About Eco Cottages
Eco Cottages is a Queensland based company established in 2006.
Our mission is to manufacture high quality, innovative, sustainable modular homes that cost less and deliver more through the use of cypress - a natural sustainable renewable resources, best practices and processes. We aim to establish the use of cypress as a first choice sustainable building product for the Australian construction industry.
We are delivering this through:
- The predominant use of cypress timber: a sustainable, natural, and renewable resource.
- Always requiring chemical free, non-toxic materials for the safety of our customers and staff.
- A commitment to high quality innovative modular designs available in a range of modern to classic styles.
- A strong collabarative spirit that allows us to work with our customers closely to customise their cottages to a high degree.
- Ethical employment practices that prioritise a diverse staff of skilled full time employees with a strong focus on professional development.
- Cottages that are easily relocatable, recyclable, and designed for disassembly.
- Our solar powered production facility in Cooroy.
- Giving back to the community by working with local orgnisations, suppliers and small businesses.
Eco Cottages are manufactured from cypress, which is indigenous to Australia and able to grow in dry climate regions and poor soils. Cypress provides quality construction and joinery timber that is known for its durability and density. Cypress is non-toxic, and naturally white ant resistant. When compared with traditional building materials, cypress has the lowest level of embodied energy.
As a cypress tree matures the rate of it's carbon dioxide absorption decreases significantly. Selectively logging these mature cypress trees is a practical and sustainable way to combat climate change. The carbon is stored in the milled cypress instead of being released back into the atmosphere and provides space for new cypress to begin the carbon storing process again.
The cypress used to create a 1 bedroom Eco Cottage has consumed 8820kg carbon dioxide, stored 3000kg of carbon, and has released approximately 6000kg of oxygen back into the atmosphere in it's lifetime. This allows us to ensure that each Eco Cottage is not just carbon neutral, but carbon negative.
Queensland Regional Ecologist Greg Ford describes how "cypress-based relocatable buildings is a great example of the innovative use of natural resources and could certainly provide opportunities for land-holders in this region to diversify their enterprises into sustainable forest products" (read more)
Sustainability in the building industry
Buildings consume 40% of the planet's material resources, generate 50% of all greenhouse gas emission and 40% of all solid waste. Because Eco Cottages are Designed for Disassembly (DFD) almost every building material we use can be easily removed and recycled at the end of their use without damage. DFD can halve the negative environmental impacts of the building industry.
Eco Cottages Design
Each Eco Cottage features a stunning and timeless design born of a love of craftsmanship with a strong focus on the core principals of sustainability. Some of our features include:
- Highly customisable designs.
- Bespoke, handcrafted cabinetry.
- Polished cypress floors.
- Handcrafted windows and doors.
- Striking decks for alfresco living.
Each relocatable design is easily customised to your needs, with modules able to be added or removed with ease if your circumstances change. This flexibility provides an innovative and cost effective solution not available with conventional housing.
Eco Cottages can also be sited in various ways to maximise aspect, topography, and visual amenity. This makes adapting to difficult sites more cost effective than other solutions.
We bring together these features with sustainable practice, knowledge and craftsmanship to deliver innovative, quality designs that are built to last. By choosing an Eco Cottage, you’re choosing a safe, quality crafted home built with minimal environmental impact.